|KEYWORDS | Full description will follow down the Page!|
|Scranton History | Scranton Tour 1-Skyline | Scranton Tour 2-Gov. Bldgs. | Scranton Tour 3-Old Luna Park | Scranton Tour 4-Coal Mines | The Coal Miners | RR Stations | Phoebe Snow Posters | Local Theater History | Jim Thorpe | Stroudsburg History | E. Stroudsburg History | Nicholson Bridge History | Jim Thorpe History | Delaware Water Gap History | Houdini Museum | Pocono-Scranton Fun Guide | FREE AREA GUIDE LINK | Pocono Directory | Museum Directory | Pocono Discount Coupons | 200 Restaurants-Hotels | Links-Hotels, etc. ||
The mining company built a road connecting this area to Esopus (Kingston, New York). It was along this one hundred mile "Coppermine Road" that the first settlers reached the Mini Sink. The first settler on the west bank of the Delaware River in the Mini Sink was Nicolas Depui who moved his family from the Hudson Valley in 1727. In 1793 Antoine Dutot, a French plantation owner in Santa Domingo,purchased a large tract of land and laid out a village.
The first Inn was built in 1799, by Benjamin Bonham, along the path of an anticipated road to be built in 1800 by Abram B. Giles.
© 1989-2003 by The Houdini Museum. No part of any of this document may be reproduced in any form, without written permission. The graphics have been retouched, computer enhanced and resized by the authors.